After a long and intense discussion, S and i decided to buy K a shirt for a birthday present. S had initally wanted to gift K a football, but due to the fight which ensued as to which color ( I was strongly for pink) we desisted and decided to compromise.
And that is why we found ourselves walking into the new Reliance mall.
As soon as we walked in, I confess I may have appeared a bit distracted, S had to forcibly drag me away from a stack of dresses up the stairs and to the guys clothes section. I told him coldly that I found his behaviour most unreasonable and impatient. After all, I was only going to take a moment! S just rolled his eyes and said that it was a very long moment indeed. I sniffed in injured silence.
We started on our quest for the "perfect shirt". As I went through the racks of shirts I was suddenly overwhelmed by a deep pity for guys in general. They didn't seem to have much of a choice when it came to clothes. I thought of the exotic ladies section downstairs. I thought of the endless variety of colors and styles we had to choose from. I sighed heavily as I turned back to the shirts at hand." You just couldn't tell one from another".
However, I did find a few shirts that I liked. S however, didn't seem to agree with my choice. Everytime, he would blanche at the different shade of pink i held up for him to inspect untill i got quite exasperated. I mean honestly! A pink is an honest color. Its soft and self respecting and an entirely perfect choice. S, however seemed to have very dark misgivings and so in the end I sighed and gave up and started browsing amongst the blacks and browns as he suggested.
You may laugh at the choices I had made. But I assure you, S didn't come up with any better. He picked up the most revolting shade of blue, apparently much pleased with himself and asked me what i thought. He seemed so pleased that I had to forcible restrain myself from smashing his bubble of happiness to pieces. However, i had K's interests at heart and I knew I would hang myself before I let any friend of mine drape any sort of cloth around them of THAT particular color.
I cleverly managed the situation by telling S that the color was just a teensy weensy tad too bright and maybe K wouldnt get a splendid enough occasion to wear it soon. S agreed crestfallen. "It's my favorite color you know", he said sadly and left me gasping and spluttering for breath with this confession as he trundled away to look at some more shirts.
That did it! I watched his movements like a hawk. At last we had narrowed our choices down to two shirts. One was black and very repectable. The other was brown and I had to grudgingly admit that it WAS the nicest non pink shirt we had come across so far.
After tossing a coin, we picked the brown.
We raced down the stairs joyfully with our precious purchase. S and I were feeling very compacent and smug. But as we reached the ground floor I saw a shimmer through the corner of my eye. I turned abruptly. There lined up before me were tonnes and tonnes of earrings. It was like something from one of my favorite dreams! S turned too late and saw what i was looking at. "Hey!" he said plaintively. "We dont really have time for that you know"
But I was already headed there. What could I do? I was as powerless as a a piece of iron in the magnetic field of some strong magnet.
i shall not describe to you the tortures S suffered. At the outset I handed him my bag and parcels and concentrated solely on reveerntly fingering the gorgeous beauties before me. I weighed the merits of pink hearts with blue butterflies. I thought furiously about green danglies and glittering studs. My head was a mass of calculations, permutations and combinations. Even s looked at me awed.
Finally, I hd sealed my choice. I looked at my watch guiltily. We had spent approximately the same time on buying a pair of earrings as we had taken for the shirt!
S and I hurried outside. His expression was unpleasant. It was as if he had swalloed something very nasty. I looked at him in concern. "Girls!" he said in disgust! And as if that had relieved his feelings, his features straightened out and he grinned. 'i'm never coming shopping with you again" he declared.
I sighed. I had been prepared for that.
NOTE: THE BEST PART: THE SHIRT DID NOT FIT :-o :D
Hilarious! You write like Wodehouse
ReplyDeleteWhoah! Thanks! Best compliment ever! :D
ReplyDelete