I can't believe it's taken me so long to write a new post!
I've just been going through my old posts and I feel like I've just had a reunion with an old and dear friend. I guess I've been too caught up with useless things really and have ignored a part of me, which is probably the most important.
I love walking by myself thinking my own pretty thoughts. And it surprises me and hurts me to think i've been worrying about so many silly things that I haven't had time for mulling over Cabbages and Kings!
So heres to getting back to being 'me'!!
Right at the present, I'm really involved in this new project called TIFAC. Every 20 years the government gets a bunch of experts to write a report on what they envisage to be the future of a sector in India. For example, what should the agricultural scene be like in 2035? What kind of equipment would be present etc.
Well this time Professor Rangan Banerjee is the expert in charge of writing the report of the future of energy technologies. He proposed that students make a parallel report as we are going to be the ones in charge in 2035 blah blah blah :P
Well here we are! We're about to write a report that has the potential to change the course of a nation! To write something that might be implemented. It is a grave responsibility. What should be our objective?
I mean, what should be our immediate goal? Should we aim for energy security, should we aim to start employ new cutting edge technologies to make our country more efficient? Or should we first ensure that people in rural areas and undeveloped areas get access to the grid?
They have to be connected to the grid at some point. Employing decentralized energy sources there will not give them a continuous energy supply through out the day. In addition, sometimes if renewable energy sources were deployed, there would be excess energy production in some parts of the country, while there would be a deficit in another part. By connecting everyone with a grid, we can ensure that no energy is wasted.
On one hand I see unborn generations scowling at me, living with inefficient, out dated technologies and on the other hand I see the miserable present and I shudder!
It is very important that India starts using the latest, most efficient technologies. This usage would encourage R&D and ensure the start up of a local ecosystem for that technology. More importantly, India is producing far less power than the demand. This gap would be bridged a little with more efficient technologies.
So suppose, we decide to adopt hydrogen as an efficient energy carrier, the future would vastly benefit from this. But revamping our entire system, will not help people who do not even have electricity. We need a parallel movement for them. It is important that we find a delicate balance between the needs of those present and those to come.
I hope that we achieve this balance! I sympathize with policy makers most heartily now. Making a decision like this is not easy!
No comments:
Post a Comment