I've got into this habit of haunting lakeside at all times of the day. Early in the morning, when the sky is a dreary watery blue; In the still, hot afternoon; at sunset where I delight in the violent coloring of the sky; and late in the night where the few stars that are left in Bombay burn softly above the lake. The lake is a protective barrier which keeps the real world away and serves as a cushion against the realities of Life.
One can still pretend and dream, away from the cars speeding away to homes or offices; Poles/Centers that form and disappear as the wrinkles in the fabric of our lives alter gravitational fields that tie us or break us, howsoever the force chooses. Do we have control over the creation of those wrinkles? Do we wake up one fine morning, examine our skin like a woman approaching forty and tremble in alarm at a new line? Lines carved by patience or sorrow or feelings that exist beyond our rational selves and that are beyond our control?
The waters ripple past; moon shine so much more elusive and beautiful than the arrogant dancing flecks of sunlit gold, and shrouds the future in a shadowy veil. As long as I'm on this side of the lake, I go on dreaming.
One can still pretend and dream, away from the cars speeding away to homes or offices; Poles/Centers that form and disappear as the wrinkles in the fabric of our lives alter gravitational fields that tie us or break us, howsoever the force chooses. Do we have control over the creation of those wrinkles? Do we wake up one fine morning, examine our skin like a woman approaching forty and tremble in alarm at a new line? Lines carved by patience or sorrow or feelings that exist beyond our rational selves and that are beyond our control?
The waters ripple past; moon shine so much more elusive and beautiful than the arrogant dancing flecks of sunlit gold, and shrouds the future in a shadowy veil. As long as I'm on this side of the lake, I go on dreaming.
Well done! I liked a few sentences specially - like the last line of the first paragraph. The title seems to have a typo.
ReplyDeleteYour finishing lines have much to say by being short and not expounding too much. So I felt it would have been better not to use the capital 'D' in 'Dreaming'. This I understand is to lay an emphasis on the word, but it compromises on subtleness. At times it is better to leave the reader to discover the impact of some words on his/her own by being a bit reserved.
One more point - in writings like these, it looks better not to write in numerals, as in to write 'forty' instead of '40'.
Thanks Shamashis! Really appreciate your feedback!
ReplyDelete