Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Third Week in singapore

This week, I worked for 3 days with Winson, a phd student. he was testing a membrane bio reactor. His waste water purification technique involved using forward osmosis followed by reverse osmosis to make the purification process more energy effective.
I learned A LOT these 2 days.

I learned how to use the pH and conductivity meter, to measure the osmotic pressure, to measure the TSS. i learned how to use the master sizer to get an idea of the distribution of sizes of particle. I prepared the feed solution and the draw solution, I took TOC measurements and EPS measurements.

I was really kept on my toes for those 2 days!

The next two days, i spent preparing hollow fiber membrane strands for the integrity sensor and trying to see whether back washing the hollow fibers is easier than cleaning the flat sheet membrane. I ran this test, but unfortunately, I had increased the pressure to increase the flow rate to increase the rate of fouling. This had caused the hollow fibers to get deformed and back washing or even trying to wash it with cross flow, became nigh impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment